Sunday, March 17, 2013

Make a Tank Top from a Guy’s T-shirt


After going to Target looking for something cute to wear on St. Patty’s Day, I realized that finding a nice green shirt in the ladies department was no easy task. I found a few different shades of green in different styles of shirts, but was left wanting something more genuine to the occasion. After a disappointing search, I noticed two large racks of St. Patrick day themed t-shirts in the men’s section. Jackpot! The only problem now was that they weren’t very flattering, and even size small was still a little bit large. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and came up with this DIY tank top from a t-shirt in 4 easy steps, no sewing required!

 

You will need:

T-shirt
Tank top (for reference)
Scissors
Pen



Step 1: Make reference marks

  • Turn the t-shirt inside out and lay it flat, front side up.
  • Lay the tank on top of the shirt and make marks with the pen showing the neck line depth and strap thickness for reference.
  • Remove the tank and draw lines connecting the pen marks to follow while cutting.

Step 2: Cutting the t-shirt

  • Cut the neck out of the t-shirt following the pen marks. I cut the front of the shirt first then the back separately.
  • Following your pen marks for the straps, cut the sleeves off of the t-shirt, cutting both sides of the shirt at the same time.
  • Turn the shirt right-side out and set aside.












Step 3: Making the ties.

  • Take one of the cut-off sleeves and cut it along the bottom seam.
  • Open the sleeve up and cut 1” thick strips along the longest length of the sleeve. I used 2 strips.





Step 4: Tying the back straps together.

  • Take one of the strips and starting about 3” from the top seam of the shirt, start wrapping the two tank top straps together moving down as you go.
  • Tie a knot in the first strip to hold in place.
  • Take the second strip of fabric and repeat. Tuck the loose ends in.












The END!

30 comments:

  1. Wow what a nice shirt design is that I just ordered some clothes from an online store that has great varaiety.Soft Hanes Beefy T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made this! I need to make another to perfect it, mine I cut the arm holes to large and its a booby shirt now, haha (I'll wear it to bed!). Gonna try again though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it took me a couple tries to get it right also! Maybe you could wear a tank or sportsbra under it and wear it as a work out top, thats what I do sometimes :)

      Delete
    2. I don't understand how exactly to do the back :( I am slow , lol can you post a video please ?

      Delete
    3. Hi! I will try to make a video soon if I can find the time. Basically for the back you just take strips of extra fabric and wrap them around, knotting them so they stay in place.

      Delete
  3. Did you use an oversized shirt or a small men's shirt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually wear a women's size medium and this shirt was a men's size small.

      Delete
  4. Very cool! Great for weekends on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good design what about pent
    check out new design for pent
    http://www.bellabrazil4you.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way the tee transform into a hot, chic, edgy tank top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did you get it to not be super bunchy in the back? Mine turned out VERY bunched up in the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you cut a v-neck into the back neckline before tying the straps together, it helps with the bunched-up-ness. :)

      Delete
  8. I read a article under the same title some time ago, geek t shirt designs but this articles quality is much, much better. How you do this..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lonehood - a detachable and adjustable hood that can be worn with anything. Made by Styleuno - an innovative fashion company for trendsetters.
    streetwear

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this! Although my suggestion is to get the shirt about 2 sizes bigger.. One size bigger made it a little snug when I did the bunching in the back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely tunic dear...I just wanna to know which Shoes and Sandals you prefer for such wonderful outfit !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I could wear this top with my favorite casual footwear !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! My daughter has been wanting to make her own casual tops for women. I'll have to show her this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Buy a Sexy White Lace Back Tank Top from this website. This site is very good in shopping field.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the post. Am glad to found your blog where am finding lots of new things. This post is really amazing thanks again :). Now I can completely change my T-shirt .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Am here again to share my experienced. I did this, and got same result like your post. Thank you so much. I wish I could share some of my ladies tank tees pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Above "Make a Tank Top from a Guy’s T-shirt" tutorial is very informative to use old clothes in new looks

    http://www.neevov.com also offers plain tank tops for girls and women at best price.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the directions, turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the easy to follow directions. I can now wear the cool shirt, a souvenir, my Dad gave me. It's been "sexified" to my liking.

    ReplyDelete