After going to Target looking for something cute to wear on St. Patty’s Day, I realized that finding a nice green shirt in the ladies department was no easy task. I found a few different shades of green in different styles of shirts, but was left wanting something more genuine to the occasion. After a disappointing search, I noticed two large racks of St. Patrick day themed t-shirts in the men’s section. Jackpot! The only problem now was that they weren’t very flattering, and even size small was still a little bit large. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and came up with this DIY tank top from a t-shirt in 4 easy steps, no sewing required!
You will need:
Tank top (for reference)
Step 1: Make reference marks
- Turn the t-shirt inside out and lay it flat, front side up.
- Lay the tank on top of the shirt and make marks with the pen showing the neck line depth and strap thickness for reference.
- Remove the tank and draw lines connecting the pen marks to follow while cutting.
Step 2: Cutting the t-shirt
- Cut the neck out of the t-shirt following the pen marks. I cut the front of the shirt first then the back separately.
- Following your pen marks for the straps, cut the sleeves off of the t-shirt, cutting both sides of the shirt at the same time.
- Turn the shirt right-side out and set aside.
Step 3: Making the ties.
- Take one of the cut-off sleeves and cut it along the bottom seam.
- Open the sleeve up and cut 1” thick strips along the longest length of the sleeve. I used 2 strips.
Step 4: Tying the back straps together.
- Take one of the strips and starting about 3” from the top seam of the shirt, start wrapping the two tank top straps together moving down as you go.
- Tie a knot in the first strip to hold in place.
- Take the second strip of fabric and repeat. Tuck the loose ends in.